XQ Math is a project-based math curriculum that:
- Uses youth-tested project frames to draw students into math, particularly those whom traditional mathematics instruction has failed to engage
- Motivates students to “activate” and “upgrade” their math knowledge to solve problems they care about through mathematical modeling
- Builds students’ confidence and mathematical agency, so that they begin to see themselves as mathematically powerful
Each XQ Math project module engages students in rigorous, creative, and meaningful work—work that prepares them for advanced mathematics and defies the idea that math is boring.
We are seeking adventurous math educators to help us co-design this new curriculum, starting with Algebra 1 and Geometry.
What you will receive
Teachers who pilot XQ Math will receive:
- Access to project modules, complete with student directions, conceptual supports, teacher guides, and assessment rubrics
- All supplies for any projects piloted
- Continuous support from the XQ Math team
About XQ Math Modules
Each XQ Math module explores critical mathematical concepts and centers on a common theme. To ensure genuine engagement and motivation, the module is designed to accommodate a high degree of student choice.
For example, in responding to a prompt to create a musical artifact, one student might create a TikTok duet using root beer bottles filled with water, while another might build a simple thumb piano, tuned using mathematical modeling, to accompany a song they love.
XQ Math Modules
An Invitation to Design and Pilot
Participating teachers and students will have the opportunity to improve their practice in doing and developing great projects, while also contributing to a valuable community resource.
Teachers who participate will:
- Serve on an advisory group, reviewing XQ Math modules and providing feedback
- Pilot one or more XQ Math modules. Piloting teachers will learn alongside the XQ team as we build resources for powerful learning experiences.
- Be named as contributors to the curriculum